This is a non lucrative site, every time you try one of my recipes, all am asking you is to feed one hungry person in whichever way you choose, in return. Let the Energy circulate.
Tonight's recipe comes from Morocco, a Tajine of Veal, dried Prunes and Almonds and a Moroccan Carrot salad.
A Tajine is cooking bowl with a cover, made of earth, which can only be used in an oven. I don't have a Tajine, but that will not prevent me from enjoying the exquisite Moroccan cuisine. Hence I found a way around the Tajine bowl.
Every country has its sweet and sour recipe, Morocco is no exception. We have a similar dish in Iraq but instead of Prunes we use dried Apricots.
For this Tajine dish and for two persons you will need the following (rough measures)
- 250 grams of pieces of veal cut in smallish chunks for stewing. I use veal with no fat, no skin, no grease, no nothing. Veal cooks faster than beef. Alternatively you can always get beef.
- 50 grams of finely shredded FRESH Ginger.
- 2 medium size onions finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic finely minced
- 2 Tbs of cooking oil
-1/2 cup of finely chopped FRESH Coriander/Cilantro and Parsley
- Saffron in powder or threads - a generous pinch.
- 12-14 dried prunes
- 1 tsp of honey
- 2 Tbs of Sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup of bleached Almonds (i.e no skin)
- salt to taste.
- soak your dried prunes in cold water for about 10mn
- heat the oil and stir fry the chopped onions and garlic until golden brown.
- add the grated ginger, minced parsley and coriander, and the saffron
- mix well and let it cook for a couple of minutes on a medium fire
- now put your chunks of veal and mix well, leave for a few minutes until the veal takes in all the flavor of the mix and COVER
- pour in some hot water just enough to cover the veal. mix well
- leave it to cook on a medium fire until tender. Keep it covered, stirring occasionally.
- get a small frying pan and grill your sesame seeds until golden - be careful sesame seeds burn quickly you don't want them to taste bitter. So grill them lightly and put on the side
- in a little oil, fry your almonds until golden, set aside.
By now your veal is cooked, and tender.
- pour in the prunes, and the honey into your stew, mix well and let it cook for a few more minutes.
- heat your oven to medium, pour the whole content of saucepan into a glass dish, cover it with the fried almonds and put in the oven for about about 10 mn or so. Make sure it does not dry out. So keep checking. You must have enough sauce left.
- Upon serving, sprinkle half the quantity of your grilled sesame seeds on top. Serve with rice.
This is a delicious salad, that goes well with this Tajine.
- Shredded carrots
- black olives
- dash cinnamon powder
- dash cumin
- salt, pepper
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
- freshly squeeze orange juice
- sesame seeds grilled
- olive oil.
Prepare the salad sauce by mixing equal amounts of lemon and orange juice, add the salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon and olive oil and mix well.
Pour on top of the shredded carrots and black olives mix, decorate with rest of grilled sesame seeds.
To finish ...
Serve some Green Tea with resh Mint and add some Pine nuts to it. Best served in glasses not cups.