July 27, 2011

When a Hamburger is not a Hamburger

As usual -if you're new please read my ---> welcome note first.

I think I've mentioned it on many occasions, I like it simple and easy. I have no time for too complicated, elaborate cooking, specially these days as am busy as hell.
But I like style, flavors, aromas and scents and will never settle for a bland meal. I hate blandness both in cooking and in life.
So I try to make the most original out of the ordinary. That's my philosophy in life.

You're hungry, you have no time to cook, you have unexpected visitors, whatever it is...hamburgers are fine. Not your regular hamburgers in a bun though. Oh no, this is different.
If you are so inclined to make them yourselves, by all means do so, I don't have the time, personally.

So am going to give a simple recipe, a 3 course if you can call that.

For 2 you will need :

* 2 - 4 (depends on how big of a eater you are) big size lean meat pure beef hamburgers frozen or fresh up to you, I prefer fresh.
* 1/2 to 1 flat tbsp of cooking oil I use sunflower
* 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of hamburger spices - I found the mix in a supermarket (mix is black pepper, ginger, cardamon , cinnamon, all spices, coriander)
* 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
* salt to taste.
* a dash of Maggi liquid condiment

Mix all the above well and marinate your (thawed if frozen) burgers.


Meanwhile preparation for salad : You figure out how much you need to make for 2.

- iceberg lettuce chopped
- shredded carrots
- tomatoes
- cucumber
- fresh parsley leaves
- shredded cooked beetroot if available
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- walnuts

Salad sauce is made of

- olive oil
- salt
- pepper
- apple vinegar
- ground cumin

Now for the side dish to accompany your extraordinary burgers

SPINACH - another underrated vegetable.

I use frozen, no cream, no spices. Just plain spinach.

* For 2 you will need around 400 grms of frozen spinach.
* 1 medium size onion finely chopped
* 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
* 1 tbs of OLIVE OIL
* 1/4 tsp of mixed dried herbs - like Herbes de Provence
* salt and pepper to taste.

Gently fry onion in olive oil until tender, add your frozen spinach and let it thaw on a gentle fire, add nutmeg, dried herbs and leave it to cook, not more than 5 to 7 mn.

Grill your hamburgers, make sure to heat your frying pan well before.

Serve hamburgers with side salad and the hot spinach, TIP: sprinkle spinach with grated Parmigiano cheese .

I use these ready made sauces that go very well with the hamburgers, apart from Dijon Mustard, I also use Smoky BBQ sauce and a spicy Abricot sauce. Of course you can choose whatever ready made sauce you fancy.

Bon appétit.